You know silky hair when you see it: shiny, healthy, and free of tangles. But if you, like me, put your hair through the ringer, styling it with hot tools, using tons of product, and coloring it regularly, silkiness seems only but a dream. Luckily, with the right products, you and I both can improve the look and feel of our hair in just a few weeks—especially since silky hair relies on the health and condition of the cuticle (the outside layer), according to Steven Picciano, a national artist for Goldwell.
So, if you’re reading this because you deal with dullness and tangles daily/weekly/whenever follow the eight tips below to transform your strands and restore your natural shine.
- Be mindful when shampooing.
- Comb when wet, brush when dry.
- Use a T-shirt to dry your hair instead of a towel.
- Sleep on silk pillowcases.
- Always finish blow-drying with a blast of cold air.
- Incorporate healthy fats into your diet.
- Add baking soda to a clarifying shampoo.
- Look for products with hydrolyzed keratin.